Pages

Sunday, October 21, 2007

Isn't the present system good enough? Why should it be changed?

I have mentioned my arguments with people here before. Arguments, I think are a way of learning through questioning. It is not about who is better.It is about which is the better idea. Why is it that we tend to take arguments personally? Why is it that we are unable to take a point made on its face value and not dig into it to identify some personal comment?

Maybe it is my way of doing things that makes me enter into arguments and causes people to take offence from what I say. Or maybe I have not evolved enough to keep this in check. I am getting bogged down by the number of people who are really interested enough in responding to the writing here. I have 5 people reading this blog once-in-a-while and have 4 of them responding negatively! Some percentage! And some encouragement!!
I don't mind. I am entitled to expressing my ideas and opinions. And so I will continue to gab. You are still welcome to express your criticism - as negative as it may get! :)

Some good ideas that I received recently was to put my writing into bulleted points. I think this involves more work than usual, but if it is going to make it better for my friends who have low attention spans I would be happy. So here goes trial.

Question:
Isn't the present system good enough? Why should it be changed?

Answer:

  • The system is very good only for some, who live in cities and those who are lucky enough to have means of learning outside their classroom (that is, learning things that are not in their textbooks)

  • There is no provision to educate children in a broad sense. They are mostly required to answer questions from a very restrictive text.

  • A strong base in math, science and language contributes to a healthy understanding of higher level subjects. Because of large classrooms and shortage of teachers in primary schools, this strong base is not laid. So even if we have the best of teachers for higher classes, the purpose is lost as children do not understand what they study and resort to learning by rote.

  • In higher classes the large syllabus also does not allow the teacher to go deep into a subject. There is a lot of pressure on teachers to show results.

  • Schools often trigger a sort of unhealthy attitude by rewarding teachers whose students score high marks in 10th and 12th exams. This even makes teachers try to coach bright students separately, so that they get higher scores. The rest are encouraged to learn by rote.

  • Competition in 12th and 10th std board exam forces schools to skip essential concepts that is included in 9th std and 11th std in order to gain more time to finish the 10th and 12th portions. These concepts form a base for many fields of higher study. The system does nothing to ensure that there is a wholesome approach to these concepts.

  • In spite of several measures that have been taken to revise and make better textbooks, the pattern of the paper seems to endorse and support learning by rote. The students are never encouraged to do independent thinking.

  • We have little to offer to students with slow learning abilities (or learning disability). Except for a few schools that are into educating such children, the rest of the schools simply brand these children.
This is all I can think of at the present moment. I will continue to edit this.
Please feel free to comment. I do like being corrected!

2 comments:

K said...

Howmuch ever we discuss about changing the system, it might be good in words here, but putting it in practice might take a lifetime..... Education is a business now...no more a service ( This might sound negative, but i think it is reality)

Unknown said...

hey I wud like to leave comments on most of ur blogs but I'm a lazy bug...I have been stung by the typingphobia bug :( will let u know what i feel when i come home